Adult Braces: Exploring Orthodontic Treatments for Adults
Orthodontic treatments such as braces are often associated with teenagers. However, more and more people are getting braces as an adult. Orthodontic treatments can improve oral health and enhance their smiles. If you are an adult considering orthodontic treatment, this blog post is for you. We will explore adult orthodontics treatments, common questions about braces and finding the right adult orthodontist.
Why Do Adults Need Orthodontics?
Braces in adulthood can provide a series of benefits, mainly focused on cosmetic enhancements, and orthodontic treatment can also contribute to correcting and improving oral issues. If you’re experiencing some of the next dental problems, braces may be a recommended alternative:
- Crowded teeth.
- Crooked teeth.
- Adult overbite correction
- Underbites and crossbites.
- Limited breathing.
- Unevenly spaced teeth.
- Gapped teeth.
Is There Any Difference With Child Orthodontics?
While child orthodontics and adult orthodontics share common objectives, the main differences lie in the adaptability of the treatment. Child orthodontics leverages young patients’ ongoing dental development and growth, guiding it more effectively.
In contrast, adult orthodontic cases often involve fully developed bone structures, making the treatment process more intricate. However, it’s essential to mention that orthodontic interventions can be remarkably effective in adults, even if they are over in their teenage years.
The advancements in orthodontic techniques allow orthodontists to address a wide range of adult orthodontic concerns, from cosmetic enhancements to the improvement of oral health, meaning that age nowadays is not a barrier to achieving a healthier and more beautiful smile.
What Are My Options For Adult Braces?
Braces come in many different alternatives, adjusting to different needs and budgets; the most popular orthodontic treatments for adults include
Metal braces are the most traditional adult braces options. They consist of metal brackets and wires that are affixed to the front of your teeth. While they are visible, metal braces are highly effective, making them suitable for even the most complex orthodontic issues. They are often the most affordable choice, but some people may be concerned about their appearance.
- Effective for complex cases.
- Usually the most affordable option.
- Visible metal brackets and wires.
Ceramic braces are very similar to metal braces but with one key difference: the brackets are made from tooth-coloured or clear materials; this makes them less noticeable and more aesthetically pleasing. These braces are popular among adults who want effective orthodontic treatment with a less visible appearance.
- Less noticeable due to tooth-coloured or clear brackets.
- Effective for most orthodontic issues.
- More fragile than metal braces.
- May require more maintenance.
For a more “invisible” option, lingual braces are a great alternative. These hidden braces are attached to the back of your teeth, making them completely invisible when you smile. Lingual braces can effectively treat a wide range of orthodontic issues, but they may take some time to get used to and can be more challenging to clean.
- Completely hidden as they are placed on the back of the teeth.
- Effective for all orthodontic issues.
- Can be uncomfortable initially.
- More challenging to clean.
Invisalign® for adults is a popular option instead of braces. It uses clear aligners to move teeth into the right place slowly. These clear braces for adults are virtually invisible and offer the flexibility of removing the aligners for eating and oral hygiene. However, it may not be suitable for complex orthodontic cases and requires disciplined wear and care.
- Virtually invisible aligners.
- Removable for eating and cleaning.
- May not be suitable for complex cases.
- Requires disciplined wear.
Which Treatment Is The Best For You?
Choosing the right adult braces depends on your orthodontic needs and lifestyle. Your orthodontist will work closely with you to find the most suitable option. As we explore above, there are many orthodontic options for adults, and it’s essential to consider factors like your treatment goals, budget, and the level of maintenance you are comfortable with.
What To Expect in Orthodontic Treatment Adults?
- Installation: Getting braces fitted is a straightforward process. It involves attaching brackets and wires or receiving your first set of aligners. Your orthodontist will guide you through the process.
- Pain: It’s normal to experience discomfort, especially when braces are first installed or adjusted. Pain relievers can help, but your orthodontist will advise on the post-care instructions.
Time: How Long Do You Need To Wear Braces For?
Teeth braces for adults can have different durations, and they can vary based on the complexity of your case. An adult orthodontic treatment can last anywhere from 12 months to 3 years.
Braces Care: What Are Some Tips For Surviving Adult Braces?
Braces may imply adjusting your habits, keeping good care and making the treatment as comfortable as possible. Some tips for braces are:
- Maintain good oral hygiene: Keep your teeth and braces clean by regular brushing and flossing to prevent plaque buildup and oral issues.
- Follow dietary restrictions if necessary: Avoid hard, sticky, and crunchy foods that can damage braces. Choose braces-friendly alternatives.
- Attend regular check-ups: Visit your orthodontist for adjustments and ensure your treatment progresses as planned.
- Use your Retainers: Once the treatment is complete, it is key to wear your retainers to maintain your teeth alignment.
- Stay patient: Understand that orthodontic treatment takes time, and consistent discipline will lead to a healthier and more beautiful smile.
Need Adult Braces in Australia?
Adult braces offer an incredible opportunity to achieve the smile you’ve always dreamed of and improve oral health. At Orthoworx, we are dedicated to providing you with the best orthodontic care tailored to your unique needs.
Don’t hesitate to take the next step towards a healthier, more beautiful smile. Book an appointment with us in our Chatswood and Zetland clinics, and let our experienced orthodontist guide you on your journey to orthodontic wellness!